Coolcronan, Foxford, Co. Mayo has long been an important location
because of the wonderful River Moy which meanders through it from
South to North on its way to the sea at Enniscrone, Co. Sligo.
In 1641 the proprietor was a William Oge McAndrew at the pleasure
of Lord Collooney. The McAndrew family owned a great amount of land
in the surrounding parish.
By 1838 the proprietor was the Earl of Limerick (Edmond Henry Pery).
A nephew of the Earl of Limerick, who was named after him, Edmond
H. Pery married Sarah Jane Knox Gore, (the sister of Sir Arthur Knox
Gore of Belleek Manor, Ballina). Sir Arthur made available Coolcronan
for the young bridegroom to erect a house.
The family was very wealthy and they had the respect of the local
people as Sir Arthur had looked after the people very well during
the famine. The fishing was a wonderful source of income at Coolcronan
with average catches of 2500 salmon caught in the years 1890-1895.
The house remained in the Pery Knox Gore family until 1964 when the
land and house were put up for public auction and sold to a local
vet Luke Dodd.
In 1999 the house was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. C.B. Justice and was
renovated to a level it had not seen for many years.
In 2006, Mr. and Mrs. John Duffy and their children purchased the Coolcronan Estate from Mrs. Justice. They have continued to maintain and improve the Estate to its exceptionally high standard.
Click on photographs to enlarge